Sunday, May 26, 2013

GSP - Green Smoothie Princesses


Have you ever tried a Green Smoothie?

I first “played” with this sort of liquid meal option a couple of years ago. We had a failed cabbage crop in the garden – the heads had not formed but we had plenty of large green cabbage leaves awaiting our culinary raw food efforts.

I kept it simple – about 3 leaves plus the juice of 1 or 2 oranges & some water. The blender I was using was strong but not high speed (the motor was 800 watts – it still lives but has been replaced as the tool of choice).

I lost a little weight which was nice – child #2 had caused me a lot of trouble in that department. My hormones were “out of whack”. But I did not persist with the idea once our homegrown greens ran out.
Fast forward a year – I was going through a 3 month intense dental treatment program. It involved, on average, one anaesthetic a week. My system was so toxic (I am chemically sensitive, so I was not coping well).

After I finished the treatment I decided to get back to green smoothies. I opted to get a little more adventurous & complex with the ingredients. I also opted to try to not use brassicas.


Image


These days, my leafy greens of first choice are – Cos, Baby Spinach & Arugula. While brassicas are a powerhouse of nutrition, be careful if you have thyroid issues (like me). I also try to use home grown ingredients whenever possible. Parsley is another favourite to add but be careful of how much as it is very strong.


Image


I have two daughters (8 & 5) – my Green Smoothie Princesses – who now love their green smoothies! Miss 8 was always a fan but miss 5 was a little more difficult to please. They are not keen on the Arugula as it can be quite strong.

I try to make a couple of days’ supply at a time. This is especially helpful if more than one person will be consuming the smoothies. For instance, today I filled 5 jars. I like re-use 1kg honey jars. They have a good diameter which is easy to hold. It is a good size to fit in a small insulated bag/pouch too. Today’s batches – 4 jars in the fridge door:


Image


Here is the recipe I used today:

3/8 pineapple
3-4 bananas
1 pear
1 nashi
juice of one orange
large handful baby spinash
half a head of cos
1 medium lebanese cucumber
half a cup water.
Blend.

Before consuming I like to add:
1-2 heaped tspn raw cacao
1 tspn chia
1/4-1/2 tspn macqui powder
3-6 heaped tspns hemp seeds.

Happy Blending!

Peace to all,
KISS for Life,
Miriam.

No comments:

Post a Comment